Can NOT believe it's been a month since I last posted. Here's a bit of what I've been up to and some news.
- This year the non-profit I volunteer with did giftwrapping as a fundraiser for the first time. I suggested we do it, and I was in charge. We held 2 public events at malls plus I did private wrapping in my home as well. It was a success not only in terms of money raised but also increasing our visibility in the community. We're going to expand our efforts next year. I have already started preparinging for 2010 ... I hit Target & Sam's Club early on the 26th to stock up on lots of holiday wrap on clearance for next year.
This year was the first time EVER I have gotten up early to shop the day after Christmas sales.
- Not only did I get giftwrapping supplies, I also bought holiday decorations for our house. We sold almost all of our holiday decorations before we moved to Texas. Being in a new house, it was REALLY hard not to buy things before Christmas to decorate, but with much encouragement from DH I sat on my hands until the 26th. I'm not one who goes crazy decorating, but I do like to do a bit to make the place look festive. I spent $54 on decorations plus $5 for a red tablecloth that I can use not only at Christmas. I went ahead and put up the indoor decorations so we can enjoy them until New Year's!
- My fall veggie garden was a total failure! Only the chives grew to where we could eat them, and even they were just a tiny handful. Bah. So glad I did not dig up part of the yard to make it! I still have seeds so I will try again in the spring, but I will not buy any soil ... I will try to improve my herb-growing techniques since that is the one area where I did have a little success, but the okra/green onions/lettuce I'll just plant them in the ground in various places around the garden beds and if nothing makes it I will just chalk it up as a learning experience. (A friend here who is an avid gardener refers to the dirt in new developments as the "red dirt of death" ... sounds like a great excuse for my failure ... I'll take it.)
- In other financial news, we have started toying around with the idea of buying a 2nd house as an investment property (vacation rental). It's a scary-exciting thing to think about. We're still in the "thinking" (not doing) stage.
- Our vulture instincts must be alive & well because we are suddenly thinking of making our 2nd car (which we have continued to shop for but have yet to pull the trigger on) a Saab. It's not a make that was even on our radar several months ago, but now that they are on "about-to-be-defunct clearance" we thought they were worth at least taking a look at.
- The Treasury has another round of auctions next week, but I think we're going to stay on the sidelines.
Here's an interesting (tho slightly depressing) link for you fellow savers:
Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season!